the welcome stranger
Budget Accommodation in the Centre of Hobart
H O T E L & B A R
"The Stranger" A piece of History
The Stranger, formerly know as The Freemasons Hotel, has been an established hotel in Hobart since 1833 when the first Theatrical Performancein Tasmania was held in the Original Hotel on the 24th December 1833, the play was called "The Stranger". The first Catholic Bishop of Australia stayed as a guest in the Hotel in August 1835, while here he launched the plans for St Johns Church, Richmond. This is the oldest Catholic Church in Australia. The hotel became known as The Welcome Stranger Hotel on the 21st July 1997 to reflect more with its past. Now well known as one of the most comfortable and affordable hotels in Hobart CBD.
The Welcome Stranger - All rights reserved - 2012